Monday, October 19, 2009

The 10K Looms

This Saturday I'm slotted to run my first 10K. Once completed, I'll have three races under my belt. I must be determined because not only is it on a sacred Saturday morning (sleeping in has been penciled in on my to-do list since September), but it's way the hell out in Belding! Getting up AND driving a half hour to location? Crazy! But in honor of my last 5K I've decided to create a reminder list for myself on race day, a few things I learned last time around.

1. Drink coffee, yes, but allow adequate time for....release.
2. Switch up iPod to break routine.
3. Hills: pump knees and elbows higher on the way up; let gravity take me down.
4. Start slow. And stay that way if need be.
5. Don't be afraid to walk but try really hard not to.
6. Peanut butter and banana sandwiches are my friend if eaten way ahead of time.
7. Four mile mantra: I will not crap my pants, I will not crap my pants. (This connects to #1)
9. Pass people toward the end. It feels good.
10. Check out the fall colors and stay in the moment. This is fun for crap's sake!

No comments:

Post a Comment