Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Speed Training--Ouch!

In an effort to improve my lung capacity and endurance, I've researched the importance of speed training, a once-a-week workout that focuses on enhancing different running aspects (VO2 max, lactate threshold, basic speed). The prescribed workout yesterday seemed easy enough, as I read it from the comfort of my couch: go to a track, run an easy mile, then run 600 meters at a fast, uncomfortable speed, recover with a slow jog for 400 meters and repeat the 600 fast/400 recovery cycle five times. Then finish with a cool down jog of 1 mile. To me, it seemed easier that the 3.1 miles I'd run Saturday. Yeah right.

I got to the track and noticed it was muggier than I'd expected. Great. I've really come to dislike warm, sunny days in favor of cool, cloudy ones. Perhaps I should live in Seattle? Anyway, I began my warm up mile--four times around the track--and by lap two I was feeling tired and hot. I wasn't even into the speed workout part! So I ran/walked my lazy mile, eager to get to the real running. Never mind that the bunion on my right toe had been throbbing since breakfast. As I approached the end of my mile, I mentally prepared to really kick it for the next lap and a half, my first 600 meters at a fast pace. And so I ran...

I ran super fast! I pumped my arms and kicked up my heels; my quad muscles were working overtime; I RAN. About 200 meters. And then I just could not go anymore at that pace. 200 meters out of the prescribed 600?? I slowed down and jogged back to the starting line. My second try I'd get farther. And so I ran...

And again I only made it 200 meters. My disappointment was heavier than the humidity. I didn't get any farther. I jogged again to the starting line and did it again. And again. In the end I only did the uncomfortably fast pace for a max of 200 meters four times and said screw it to the cool down jog. I stretched half-heartedly and went home. So much for that being easier.

2 comments:

  1. Careful with the speed work at this stage in the game. A LOT of seasoned runners and trainers say ixnay on the formal speed work until a person has logged at least a year of consistent 30+ mile weeks. I am only just now starting to plan for speed training sessions...this is after 3 years of running and 2 marathons. Speed work before you have a strong aerobic base is a recipe for serious injury (BTDT).

    For now I would stick to some shorter tempo runs and some fartleks or strides at the end of runs. Intervals are tough and if you are struggling to run the warm-up, then it's a pretty sure sign that your body is not yet ready for speed work...but you will get there. Patience, grasshoppah.

    Check out the forums on http://www.runningahead.com for some really solid training advice. I've received a heckuva lot of really good support and training help from some very experienced folks around there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooohhh....I like what you say b/c I did NOT do well with those workouts and really couldn't get beyond 200 meters. I think I'll take your advice. What are fartleks?

    ReplyDelete